Sen. Rand PaulRand PaulCruz, Lee, Paul demand 'full repeal' of ObamaCare Top House conservatives won't back draft ObamaCare replacement Freedom Caucus chair says he'd vote against draft ObamaCare replacement MORE (R-Ky.) said he would oppose the budget deal announced Tuesday because it trades sequester cuts now for the promise of future reductions.
Paul said it would be “shameful” to increase the funding levels outlined in the budget sequester — breaking with Rep. Paul RyanPaul RyanDem leaders try ‘prebuttal’ on Trump Ryan, McConnell predict ‘positive, upbeat’ message from Trump Retired generals urge Congress not to cut funds for diplomacy MORE (R-Wis.), a possible rival for the White House in 2016 who negotiated the deal for the GOP.
Paul and Ryan are both potential presidential contenders in 2016. Sen. Marco RubioMarco RubioRubio moves to name street outside Russian embassy after slain opposition leader THE MEMO: Trump takes the fight to Congress Rubio says town halls designed for people to 'heckle and scream' MORE (R-Fla.), another White House contender, also opposes the deal.
Paul opposed the fiscal-cliff deal earlier this year and the bill that reopened the government in October.
“There is a recurring theme in Washington budget negotiations,” he said. “It's 'I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.' I think it's a huge mistake to trade sequester cuts now, for the promise of cuts later.”
The deal agreed to by Ryan, the House Budget Committee chairman, and Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), his Senate counterpart, on Tuesday night would replace $63 billion in sequestration cuts over two years and would set a top-line spending number just over $1 trillion for each of the next two fiscal years.
Republican leaders in the House have come out in support of the plan.