Republican presidential hopeful Marco RubioMarco RubioRubio: 'I didn't run for the Senate to run for president again' Sunday shows preview: Next steps after Trump upheaval O'Malley gives Trump a nickname: 'Chicken Donald' MORE’s rough week got worse on Wednesday with a New York Magazine report that the head of Fox News has decided to stop giving the Florida senator prominent, favorable coverage.
"We're finished with Rubio," Roger Ailes told one of the network’s hosts recently, according to three unnamed sources. "We can't do the Rubio thing anymore."
On top of that, Rubio’s poor performance on Super Tuesday convinced Ailes that he is losing traction in the race. The Florida senator won a single state Tuesday, Minnesota, the first and only primary he has secured.
Since Jeb Bush’s departure from the race last month, Rubio has become the favorite of Republican establishment donors and lawmakers, and many said Fox was purposely giving him favorable coverage and easy interviews in order to boost his campaign.
Rupert Murdoch, the founder of Fox News, said earlier on Wednesday that if front-runner Donald TrumpDonald TrumpTrump shifts immigration plan: No 'mass deportations' Evangelical leader applauds Trump for 'relationship with Christ' George Will leaves GOP: 'This is not my party' MORE were to become the Republican nominee, the “party would be mad not to unify.”
Michael Clemente, executive vice president of news for Fox, disputed the report in a statement to The Hill:
“Consistent with the golden standard of Shermanonymous' 'reporting' on FOX News and Roger Ailes, there is no credence to this narrative or the many other works of fiction he's repeatedly been proven wrong on. Lacking any on-the-record sources, and desperate for attention, his stories are full of made-up quotes, but New York magazine doesn’t seem to care about his overwhelming lack of credibility, journalistic integrity and deeply partisan agenda.”
- Updated at 3:56 p.m. on March 3