Trump refuses to rule out third-party run

Donald TrumpDonald TrumpCoulter: Trump's 'softening' on immigration remark a panic move Clinton on pay-for-play accusations: a lot of smoke and no fire Trump ties campaign to Brexit: Time to 'redeclare' US independence MORE is refusing to rule out an independent White House run if he fails to win the Republican presidential nomination.

ADVERTISEMENT
“Well, I’m going to have to see what happens,” Trump said on ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday. “I will see what happens. I have to be treated fairly.”

Trump was asked about whether he would launch a third-party bid amid news that GOP operatives are planning to launch an anti-Trump “guerilla campaign.”

“You know, when I did this, I said I have to be treated fairly,” Trump said. “If I’m treated fairly, I’m fine. All I want to do is a level playing field.”

The GOP primary front-runner signed a pledge ruling out a third-party run in September.

But he has previously been open to the idea.

Trump first raised the possibility of a third-party candidacy in an exclusive interview with The Hill in July, saying the Republican National Committee “has not been supportive.”

Pressed on whether he would run as a third-party candidate if he fails to clinch the GOP nomination, Trump told The Hill that “so many people want me to, if I don’t win.”

“I’ll have to see how I’m being treated by the Republicans,” Trump added. “Absolutely, if they’re not fair, that would be a factor.”

In September, Trump was the only Republican at the first primary debate to raise his hand when the candidates were asked whether any would consider an independent run.

Trump also said Sunday he would hit back harder against people who attacked him.

“Anybody that does an ad against me, it will hit by 10 times,” the businessman said.

This report was updated at 3:31 p.m.

More in Campaign

Third-party candidates in late push for debate stage

Read more »