The nation’s five leading television networks are banding together against GOP presidential front-runner Donald TrumpDonald TrumpTrump will cut ribbon on DC hotel Wednesday Obama reads round two of ‘mean tweets’ on Kimmel Mexican president says he rushed into meeting with Trump MORE, a new report says.
ABC News, CBS News, CNN, Fox News and NBC News are formulating a plan for countering the strict media guidelines governing Trump's campaign, according to The Washington Post.
Journalists are increasingly frustrated by Trump staffers restricting their coverage of his campaign events, the Post reported Sunday.
Trump’s campaign has required reporters to stay in press areas before his public appearances, preventing opportunities to cover protests and interact with his supporters. Campaign staffers have allegedly revoked press credentials and barred network coverage of outlets they disagree with.
A top Trump staffer, for example, threatened to blacklist CNN reporter Noah Gray from covering future Trump events during an event last week in Worcester, Mass., the Post reported.
Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski allegedly threatened Gray after the journalist tried leaving the designated press area.
BuzzFeed, The Des Moines Register, Fusion, The Huffington Post and Univision have also faced temporary bans issued by the Trump campaign, according to the Post.
The coalition of television networks hopes it can convince Trump’s staffers to agree on specific press-zone guidelines going forward and to stop threatening reporters.
Trump has frequently criticized the media for treating him unfairly and discounting his chances of winning the presidency next year, engaging in multiple public feuds with media personalities.
Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly, political pundit George Will and conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer have each drawn Trump’s wrath this election cycle.
--This report was updated at 3:48 p.m.