Planned Parenthood: Rubio a ‘woman’s worst nightmare’

Getty Images

Planned Parenthood on Wednesday struck back against Sen. Marco RubioMarco RubioLatino Republicans split on Trump's outreach Illegal immigration foe: Trump shift the 'death knell of his candidacy' Analysis: Clinton speaks at higher grade level than Trump MORE (R-Fla.) one day after he attacked the healthcare organization’s funding.

“Marco Rubio’s American dream is a woman’s worst nightmare,” Dawn Laguens, vice president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
“If he had his way — women wouldn’t be able to access safe, legal abortion — even in cases of rape and incest,” she continued.

“Insurance coverage under the [Affordable Care Act] would be eliminated, and millions would lose access to basic reproductive healthcare at Planned Parenthood.”

Rubio on Tuesday released a video ad accusing Obama of letting issues like Planned Parenthood's funding distract him from terrorism.

“Instead of fighting to fund our troops, he fights to fund Planned Parenthood,” Rubio said in the clip.

“America needs a real commander in chief and a president who will keep us safe,” he added.

Conservatives pushed hard for defunding Planned Parenthood in the summer after the release of a series of undercover videos claiming to show the group selling fetal tissue.

Momentum for such a measure faded, however, as terrorism, gun control and the 2016 presidential election have moved to the forefront.

Congress did not include language for defunding Planned Parenthood in last month’s $1.1 trillion funding bill.

Pro-life lawmakers have since expressed disappointment, but vowed they will look at compromising on the non-profit’s funding this year instead.

Rubio is in third place in the GOP presidential race, according to a RealClearPolitics average of polls. He trails businessman Donald Trump and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).

More in Healthcare

Rubio: Zika-infected women shouldn't have abortions

Read more »