FBI Director James Comey announced Sunday that the FBI has not changed its July conclusion regarding Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonMueller recommends Papadopoulos be sentenced to up to 6 months in prison Poll: Dem opponent leads Scott Walker by 5 points Cuomo fires back at Trump: 'America is great because it rejects your hate-filled agenda' MORE’s use of a private email server while secretary of State. 

The announcement comes just two days before Election Day, following harsh criticism of Comey for his Oct. 28 letter on the latest portion of the investigation.

“Since my letter," Comey wrote Sunday, "the FBI investigative team has been working around the clock to process and review a large volume of emails from a device obtained in connection with an unrelated criminal investigation."

ADVERTISEMENT
"During that process we reviewed all of the communications that were to or from Hillary Clinton while she was Secretary of State. 
"Based on our review, we have not changed our conclusions that we expressed in July with respect to Secretary Clinton."
In a tweet, Clinton campaign press secretary Brian Fallon said: "We were always confident nothing would cause the July decision to be revisited. Now Director Comey has confirmed it"
 
According to the New York Times, Clinton communications director Jennifer Palmieri made a statement on the campaign airplane Sunday afternoon, saying, "We are glad to see that he has confirmed the conclusions he reached in July."
 
 

"As expected, the review of the additional emails has not changed the FBI's original conclusion that no reasonable prosecutor would move forward with such a case,” he wrote.

“While the original letter should never have been sent so close to an election, the expeditious review of these emails should put to rest – once and for all – the irresponsible speculation indulged in by the Trump campaign and others. Voters can now make their decision based on the merits, and that decision should be simple: it is the choice between a woman superbly qualified to be commander in chief, and a man patently unfit for office."

House Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Jason ChaffetzJason ChaffetzMatt Schlapp: Trump's policies on Russia 'two or three times tougher than anything' under Obama Tucker Carlson: Ruling class cares more about foreigners than their own people Fox's Kennedy chides Chaffetz on child migrants: 'I’m sure these mini rapists all have bombs strapped to their chests' MORE made waves Sunday afternoon as the first person to tweet about the FBI letter. 

After announcing in July that the FBI would not recommend criminal charges over the Democratic nominee's use of the private server, the matter cropped up again late last month. 

Comey sent a letter to lawmakers on Oct. 28 informing them that the bureau had found emails potentially relevant to the investigation into Clinton's server and would be digging into them with just weeks to go until Election Day. 

The emails were reportedly found during a separate FBI investigation into former Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.). Weiner is the estranged husband of one of Clinton's top aides, Huma Abedin.

In the week that followed the first letter, the Clinton campaign, Democratic lawmakers, and some Republicans criticized Comey, arguing he violated longstanding Justice Department practice not take steps in an investigation that could affect an election.

The FBI said it had some 650,000 new emails to sort through, raising questions about whether a conclusion would come before Election Day.  

NBC New’s Pete Williams said the emails on Weiner’s computer were “nearly all were duplicates of emails previously seen by FBI agents investigating the email server.” 

Others were not related to government business, he added.  

A senior law enforcement official told Williams that the total number of classified documents found on the Clinton server did not change as a result of the latest review.