HHS: 100K new O-Care applications on first day

There were 100,000 applications submitted for new health coverage under ObamaCare on the first day of the enrollment period, Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell said Sunday. 

Saturday marked the beginning of the first new open enrollment period since last year's disastrous launch of healthcare.gov. The website appears to be working better this year. 

"The vast majority of people coming to the site were able to get on and do what they were intending to do," Burwell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

She said 500,000 people had logged on to the site, and there had been over 100,000 calls. 

The numbers stand in contrast to last year's first day of enrollment, when only six people were able to enroll due to the broken website. 

There were some reports of minor glitches on Saturday. There was a preview period where people could look at plans before Saturday and look at their options. 

Burwell previously said that 1.2 million people took advantage of that option since last Sunday.