GOP presidential front-runner Donald TrumpDonald TrumpTrump thought biker rally crowd would resemble ‘I Have a Dream’ speech Weld wins Libertarian nomination for VP Dems to Clinton: Ignore Trump on past scandals MORE said Thursday that he is canceling his trip to Israel, one day after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu criticized his proposed ban on Muslims entering the U.S.
“I have decided to postpone my trip to Israel and to schedule my meeting with @Netanyahu at a later date after I become president of the U.S.,” he tweeted.
On Wednesday, Netanyahu joined international condemnation of Trump's plan to halt Muslim travel to America.
“At the same time, Israel is fighting radical Islam which is attacking Muslims, Christians and Jews alike and threatens the entire world,” Netanyahu added.
Speaking on Fox News immediately after his announcement, Trump said Netanyahu was “a good man,” and he didn’t want to put him under any pressure.
“I also did it as I’m in the midst of a very powerful campaign,” Trump said. “I decided I’d rather focus on that.”
The prime minister had confirmed that his invitation to Trump remained open despite global outrage towards his policy suggestion, which came out Monday evening.
“The prime minister decided earlier this year on a uniform policy to agree to meet with all presidential candidates from either party who visit Israel and ask for a meeting,” Netanyahu’s office said in the statement. “This policy does not represent an endorsement of any candidate or his or her views."
Trump initially scheduled his journey to Israel for meeting Netanyahu two weeks ago.
Trump has argued that the measure is an appropriate step for countering jihadist terrorism. Critics say it is both impractical and unconstitutional.
Trump on Thursday criticized President Obama’s handling of U.S.-Israel relations during his time in the Oval Office.
“The worst thing that ever happened to Israel is Barack Obama,” the outspoken billionaire said.