Blog Briefing Room

Planned Parenthood: Trump change to birth control coverage an 'unacceptable attack'

Planned Parenthood slammed the Trump administration's decision Friday to roll back an ObamaCare requirement that employers include birth control coverage in their health insurance plans.

Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards ripped the decision as an "unacceptable attack" on birth control.

"The Trump administration just took direct aim at birth control coverage for 62 million women. This is an unacceptable attack on basic health care that the vast majority of women rely on," Richards said in an official Planned Parenthood statement.

The rule approved Friday allows any employer, including colleges, universities and health insurance companies, to stop following the rule. Previously, only religious organizations and some companies could be exempt. Companies can now cite moral or religious objections to avoid following the rule, which previously only applied to houses of worship.

"This administration is carrying out a full-scale attack on birth control," Richards added, calling access to birth control a "fundamental right."

Richards said the decision would harm low-income women who cannot otherwise afford birth control.

"We cannot allow President Trump to roll back the progress women have made over the past century," she said.

Officials said that employers will only be required to inform their employees if they decide not to cover birth control under their health care plan and will not need to file paperwork with the government.

Outbrain
View desktop version