A former Obama staffer has set up a GoFundMe for the Roy Moore
Roy Stewart MooreAlabama GOP congressman preps possible Senate bid against Doug Jones Crowley surprise tops huge night for left George Will says Trump doesn’t inspire ‘cult’ in GOP: ‘This is fear’ MORE accuser whose house burned down earlier this week.
The home of Tina Johnson, who said in November that the former GOP Senate candidate groped her in the 1990s, was destroyed in a fire Tuesday that is now being investigated for arson.
Katie Jacobs Stanton, who served in the White House and State Department under former President Obama, posted the link to the online fundraiser on Twitter.
“This is really upsetting,” Stanton wrote. “I haven’t set up a @gofundme before but inspired to do so today. If anyone knows how to reach Ms. Johnson to let her know help is on the way, let me know.”
This is really upsetting. I haven't set up a @gofundme before but inspired to do so today. If anyone knows how to reach Ms. Johnson to let her know help is on the way, let me know. cc @robsolomon1 @danpfeiffer https://t.co/Fn4wTYN440 https://t.co/0uTR2KNX7g
— Katie Jacobs Stanton (@KatieS) January 5, 2018
The page reached more than half of its $10,000 goal within two hours of being posted.
It was also shared by other former Obama staffers.
The page notes that the money will be given to Johnson to help rebuild her home. If she has insurance to cover the damage, the page notes, the campaign funds will be used to help her “ease the weight of all this.”
“Money won't erase what happened, but I truly hope it will help,” the page says.
Johnson’s story was one of numerous accusations of sexual misconduct by Moore that roiled his campaign in its final weeks before he narrowly lost to Democrat Doug Jones. Moore has refused to concede the election, despite Jones having been sworn in to the Senate.