Former White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon on Thursday said he believes if chief of staff John Kelly
John Francis KellyMORE leaves the White House, President Trump
Donald John TrumpMichelle Wolf in July Fourth salute: 'God bless abortions and God bless America' Graham: Trump's Supreme Court picks 'all winners' Man arrested after allegedly threatening to kill Trump supporters, GOP lawmaker MORE will not replace him.
Bannon said at a Financial Times event that rather than hiring a new chief of staff should Kelly leave, Trump would likely opt for a more hands-on approach that would involve directly receiving reports from multiple individuals each day.
"I don't believe there'll be another chief of staff" if Kelly leaves. Multiple direct reports instead. —Steve Bannon
— Stuart A. Reid (@stuartareid) March 22, 2018Stephen (Steve) Kevin BannonBookstore owner calls police after customer confronted Steve Bannon Trump’s plan to drown government must be stopped Krystal Ball: 'The problem is not ICE' MORE #FTFutureNews pic.twitter.com/ZxIZnbjsUB
Bannon says if John Kelly moves on from White House that he does "not believe there will be another chief of staff" and president will have direct reports from a number of people. #FTFutureNews
— Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) March 22, 2018
Bannon's comments come amid a major shake-up surrounding the Trump administration.
The president ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson
Rex Wayne TillersonUS steps up its game in Africa, a continent open for business Matt Drudge shares mock ‘Survivor’ cover suggesting more White House officials will leave this summer 'Daily Show' trolls Trump over Pruitt's resignation MORE last week, and reports have indicated that national security adviser H.R. McMaster is set to depart the White House.
Tillerson's removal came roughly two weeks after Gary Cohn
Gary Davivd CohnAttacking Harley Davidson not the solution for making America great Trump threatens tariff on all European cars On The Money: New York AG sues to dissolve Trump Foundation | Issa tamps down rumors of consumer agency nomination | Bank regulator faces backlash over comments on racism | Cohn contradicts Trump on trade MORE, Trump's top economic adviser, resigned amid a dispute with the president over steel and aluminum tariffs. Conservative economist Larry Kudlow has been named Cohn's replacement.
Many have speculated that Veteran Affairs Secretary David Shulkin
David Jonathon ShulkinThe Hill's Morning Report — Sponsored by Better Medicare Alliance — Anticipation builds for Trump’s SCOTUS pick The Hill's Morning Report — Sponsored by Better Medicare Alliance — Dramatic battle looms after Kennedy’s retirement Overnight Health Care: Anti-abortion groups see chance to overturn Roe v. Wade with Kennedy retirement | HHS watchdog to probe detention center conditions | VA pick vows to oppose privatization MORE could also be on the hot seat following an inspector general report that found he misspent taxpayer money on lavish travel for himself and his wife.
Bannon himself left the White House last summer shortly after Kelly was hired to replace Reince Priebus
Reinhold (Reince) Richard PriebusMatt Drudge shares mock ‘Survivor’ cover suggesting more White House officials will leave this summer Ryan backs Vukmir in Wisconsin Senate GOP primary Bannon: Sessions an 'excellent' AG, Trump 'wrong' about recusal MORE as chief of staff.
Trump's former chief strategist was quoted extensively in the book "Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House," which focused on controversy surrounding the administration.
Bannon claimed in the book that a controversial 2016 meeting between the president's eldest son Donald Trump Jr.
Donald (Don) John TrumpMan arrested after allegedly threatening to kill Trump supporters, GOP lawmaker Donald Trump Jr. called to check on GOP campaign volunteer after reported threats Man accused of stealing pro-Trump teen's MAGA hat arrested MORE and a Russian lawyer was "treasonous," and that Trump himself was likely told about the meeting — a claim the White House denies.
His comments sparked outrage from the White House, and Trump said Bannon "lost his mind" when he left the administration.
Bannon said Thursday that he doesn’t regret participating in the book, adding that he hasn’t seen “anyone refute anything in the book.”
Bannon says he doesn’t regret participating in @MichaelWolffNYC Fire and Fury: “I haven’t seen anyone refute anything in the book.” #FTFutureNews
— Matthew Belloni (@THRMattBelloni) March 22, 2018