President Obama said Monday his administration was spearheading a "tech surge" to fix the problems plaguing the online ObamaCare insurance exchanges.
"No one is madder than me that the website isn't working as it should — which means it's going to get fixed," Obama declared.
The president's reassurances come at a critical time for the president's signature program. Fear is growing among the administration and Democratic allies that a steady beat of stories detailing problems with the website could lead many Americans to just give up on trying to secure coverage, undermining the potential of the healthcare reform law.
Obama on Monday admitted that the website's rocky rollout "makes supporters nervous" because it provides fuel to Republican criticism that the expansive program was too unwieldy. He said there was "no sugarcoating" how bad initial impressions of the website had been, and said there was "no excuse" for the "kinks" that remained.
Facing that challenge, Obama adopted the role of pitchman, insisting that the insurance available under the program was worth fighting through a sign-up process that "hasn't worked as smoothly as it's supposed to work."
"The product, the health insurance, is good. The prices are good. It is a good deal. People don't just want it, they're showing up to buy it," Obama said.
Insisting that the Affordable Care Act was "much more" than "just a website," Obama rattled off examples of Americans saving money on insurance plans that offered greater coverage. He said the consumer protections and benefits at the core of the program were good enough that Americans should remain patient.
"The point is, the essence of the law, the health insurance that is available to people, is working just fine," Obama argued.
The president also suggested that consumers eager to get covered try applying in person or over the phone, rather than through the embattled Web portal.
But that proposal, coupled with the president's admission that there remain serious problems with the website, fueled Republican cries to delay key aspects of the program.
"If the president is prepared to admit this program isn’t 'working the way it’s supposed to,' will he consider removing the tax penalty associated with the individual mandate?" asked Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Speaker John BoehnerJohn BoehnerLast Congress far from ‘do-nothing’ Top aide: Obama worried about impeachment for Syria actions An anti-government ideologue like Mulvaney shouldn't run OMB MORE (R-Ohio). "Does the president think Americans should be taxed for not buying a product from a website that doesn’t work — and may not for some time?"
Monday morning, aides to BoehnerJohn BoehnerLast Congress far from ‘do-nothing’ Top aide: Obama worried about impeachment for Syria actions An anti-government ideologue like Mulvaney shouldn't run OMB MORE (R-Ohio) were promoting a Consumer Reports article that encouraged those running into technical problems to stay away from HealthCare.gov for another month. The New York Times ran a front-page story in which experts said as many as five million lines of code may need to be rewritten to ensure the website works properly.
Obama attempted to preemptively chastise his Republican opponents, saying it was "time for folks to stop rooting" for the failure of the program. But he also pointed to concrete changes to the Web portal designed to aid enrollments.
On Sunday, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced a series of new features that are designed to help users navigate the glitchy healthcare system.
The new additions to the website allow visitors to preview health plans and prices, and review their eligibility for federal subsidies. Uninsured shoppers are also prompted to apply for coverage by phone, rather than through the website.
The lingering problems are also likely to intensify pressure on HHS Secretary Kathleen SebeliusKathleen SebeliusLeaked email: Podesta pushed Tom Steyer for Obama’s Cabinet Romney: Trump victory 'very possible' Fighting for assisted living facilities MORE, who was in attendance at the event. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus and Sens. Ted CruzTed CruzTrump's America: Businessmen in, bureaucrats out When Trump says 'Make America Great Again,' he means it Booker is taking orders from corporate pharmaceuticals MORE (R-Texas) and Pat RobertsPat RobertsOvernight Finance: Scoop – Trump team eyes dramatic spending cuts | Treasury pick survives stormy hearing Hearing derailed after senator suggests colleague needs Valium Live coverage: Senators grill Trump's Treasury pick MORE (R-Kan.) have called for her resignation over the website problems, and other Republicans have complained that Sebelius declined a request to appear at a House Energy and Commerce Committee this week.
Buck said the secretary's refusal to testify was "unacceptable."
"Americans deserve real answers for this debacle," he said.
Sen. Dick DurbinDick DurbinJustice requires higher standard than Sessions Warren burns Mnuchin over failure to disclose assets Trump Treasury pick to defend foreclosure record MORE (D-Ill.) told Fox News on Sunday that Sebelius would "ultimately" appear before a congressional panel.