Sen. Rand PaulRand PaulWe can put America first by preventing public health disasters Conservative activists want action from Trump McConnell: 'Big challenge' to pass ObamaCare repeal in Senate MORE (R-Ky.) and other conservative Republicans are criticizing the spending cut announced by the House GOP on Thursday.
"It's really not going to touch the problem," Paul said on Friday in an interview with ABC News.
Paul was commenting on the proposal announced by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul RyanPaul RyanPelosi: 'Of course' Dems can be against abortion Five fights for Trump’s first year Sunday shows preview: Trump stares down 100-day mark MORE (R-Wis.) that would cut spending through the end of the fiscal year by $32 billion.
"There's a disconnect between Republicans who want a balanced budget but aren't maybe yet brave enough to talk about the cuts to come," Paul said.
The freshman senator and Tea Party favorite has proposed cutting spending in the current fiscal year by $500 billion.
The Ryan proposal had been rolled out by the GOP as cutting $74 billion from the budget, but that figure is based on President Obama's proposed budget, and not spending that had actually been authorized by Congress.
At issue is the "Pledge to America" that House Republicans unveiled at the tail end of the 2010 campaign, which set a target of $100 billion in cuts this year. GOP leaders have said that they're most focused on rolling back spending to 2008 levels — another aspect of the Pledge — though that might mean less cutting than expected, since half the fiscal year's budget has been exhausted.
That argument hasn't halted Democratic criticism, though, or quelled complaints from within the GOP.
"Anything short of our pledge to cut $100 billion from FY11 will be getting off on the wrong foot,” Rep. Jeff FlakeJeff FlakeTrump wall faces skepticism on border No Congress members along Mexico border support funding Trump's wall Obama-linked group launches ads targeting Republicans on immigration MORE (R-Ariz.), another conservative spending foe, said of Ryan's proposal. “We can’t ignore the fact that our budget deficit is clocking in at $1.5 trillion and our debt at more than $14 trillion. We’re going to have to do much better and cut much more.”
House Speaker John BoehnerJohn BoehnerLobbyists bounce back under Trump Business groups silent on Trump's Ex-Im nominee Chaffetz won't run for reelection MORE (R-Ohio) and other GOP leaders have made clear, though, that they view Ryan's plan as a starting point for the debate over spending. There's "no limit" to how much the House could cut, BoehnerJohn BoehnerLobbyists bounce back under Trump Business groups silent on Trump's Ex-Im nominee Chaffetz won't run for reelection MORE-no-limit-to-the-amount-of-spending-gop-could-cut" href="http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/141097-boehner-no-limit-to-the-amount-of-spending-gop-could-cut">Boehner said last weekend.
If conservative dissatisfaction with Ryan's proposal grows, some lawmakers might take advantage of the "open" process Boehner has promised on the spending bill to pursue deeper cuts. Majority Leader Eric CantorEric CantorBrat: New ObamaCare repeal bill has 'significant' changes Overnight Energy: Flint lawmaker pushes EPA for new lead rule House staffer, Monsanto vet named to top Interior posts MORE (R-Va.) has promised a vote on a proposal by the Republican Study Committee to slash discretionary spending by $2.5 trillion over the next decade, for instance.