Ryan denies report he's considering 2012 bid

Rep. Paul Ryan's (R-Wis.) personal spokesman denied a report Tuesday that the House Budget Committee chairman was "seriously considering" a run for the Republican presidential nomination.

"While grateful for the continued support and encouragement, Congressman Ryan has not changed his mind," spokesman Kevin Seifert said.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Weekly Standard, a conservative magazine, citing unnamed sources close to Ryan, reported the Wisconsin Republican was reconsidering a run for the presidency, which he had previously ruled out on several occasions.

Ryan most recently publicly said he wouldn't run on Aug. 7.

"My answer is still no," he said on "Fox News Sunday." "Look, my answer is still the same as it always has been the last time you asked me."

The Weekly Standard
pointed to Ryan's frustration with how the existing field of Republican presidential candidates articulated their views in a debate last Thursday in Ames, Iowa. The magazine has long been a cheerleader of Ryan as a presidential candidate, and Karl Rove, the former political guru for President George W. Bush, again floated Ryan's name Tuesday as a credible candidate.

Ryan's decision to use his political action committee to raise money in Iowa to support his controversial 2012 budget plan only stoked speculation. The congressman explained that he was simply looking to defend the other presidential candidates from attacks based on his budget.