Sen. Richard BlumenthalRichard BlumenthalOvernight Healthcare: Biden hints at new money for cancer research | Trump details opioid plan | Dem urges feds to reject EpiPen settlement Dem calls on DOJ to reject EpiPen settlement Why Yahoo's breach could turn the SEC into a cybersecurity tiger MORE is calling for a video game to be pulled down from the Internet that allows players to reenact last year’s mass shooting in Newtown, Conn.
The game is called “The Slaying of Sandy Hook Elementary,” and follows gunman Adam Lanza’s steps in last December’s tragedy.
Players are directed to have Lanza shoot his mother, and then transitions to the elementary school, where players are given 10 minutes to shoot students and teachers.
“This abhorrent video game should be taken down from all websites immediately. This vile video game shocks our conscience and mocks common decency,” Blumenthal said in a statement Wednesday. “Shamefully, as we approach the one-year anniversary of the Sandy Hook shooting, some still exploit this horrific tragedy. It’s appalling and salacious, and it must stop.”
Connecticut’s junior Sen. Chris MurphyChris MurphyPodesta floated Bill Gates, Bloomberg as possible Clinton VPs Dem senator calls for end of Saudi support in Yemen after funeral bombing Dems to McConnell: Pass 'clean' extension of Iran sanctions MORE (D) told the Courant, “To make a game about the murder of 20 children and their six teachers is absolutely sickening. I hope the very disturbed person who could think of something like this sees the cruelty of what he’s done and stops it.”
“It’s absolutely disgusting that somebody thinks this is funny,” Donna Soto, the mother of slain teacher Vicki Soto, told Hearst Connecticut Newspapers. “We’re all suffering. All the families are suffering. We’re coming up on December. My daughter’s birthday just passed. It just adds insult to the suffering that we’re dealing with. It’s just incomprehensible that someone would think this kind of thing is wanted.”
“This is beyond disgusting," Rep. Elizabeth Esty (D-Conn) said in a statement. "The families, who lost their loved ones in the December 14 tragedy, and the Newtown community, have had to live with unimaginable loss. They have had to live with pain that is very real and very deep, and they have had to experience this in an unusually public setting.
"Making a ‘game’ out of the murder of their loved ones – exploiting their suffering as a form of entertainment is wrong, disturbing, and cruel. The person behind this should stop immediately, and every website still hosting this ‘game’ should do the right thing and take it down now.”
The anniversary of the shooting is Dec. 14. Lanza killed 26 people in the rampage — 20 of whom were children.
--This report was updated at 4:20 p.m.