Rubio declines to pile on in Christie controversy

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Thursday the public should let the controversy surrounding New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) play out, and declined to weigh in on the subject. 

ADVERTISEMENT
Christie is facing a firestorm after emails released Wednesday link a top aide of the governor to the closure of lanes on the George Washington Bridge last year. Critics have alleged the closure was political retribution on a Democratic mayor in the area who declined to endorse the governor’s reelection bid. 

“I think the right approach is to be a bit prudent here and not jump to conclusions,” Rubio said on CNN’s “New Day.” “But as I said, I don't know anything about this. So for me to comment beyond that would just not be, you know, appropriate.”

Christie has said his staff’s conduct was unacceptable and that those involved would be held accountable. He is scheduled to address the controversy at 11 a.m. Thursday. 

Both Rubio and Christie are potential contenders for the GOP presidential nomination in 2016. Rubio said it would be unfair of him to comment on a controversy in which he has no involvement when asked if the controversy could hurt the GOP brand. 

“I think what we should do, for those of us who are watching this, is allow that process in New Jersey to move forward,” Rubio said. “I understand the legislature there is looking at it. But I'm just not going to comment on something I don't know anything about.”

He added, “I'm not saying it's an illegitimate story, I'm just saying I don't know anything about it and that would be unfair for me to comment on it.” 

More in Blog Briefing Room

Rubio: Rand Paul 'has no idea what he's talking about' on Cuba

Read more »