Jeb Bush: 2016 decision will come later this year

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) said he would defer his decision to run for president in 2016 until later this year. 

Bush on Wednesday said a major factor would be whether he can do the job “joyfully,” given the pessimistic nature of the country at the moment. 

“I’m deferring the decision to the right time, which is later this year. And the decision will be based on, can I do it joyfully, because I think we need to have candidates lift our spirits,” he told a local TV station Wednesday. “It’s a pretty pessimistic country right now. And, is it right for my family? So I don’t even want to think about that till it’s the right time and that’s later on.”

ADVERTISEMENT
He added: ““I don’t wake up each day saying, ‘what am I going to do today to make this decision?’”

In a new Washington Post-ABC poll, Bush ranked second in a potential GOP primary with 18 percent of the vote. Bush was 2 points shy of the leader, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.).

During the interview, Bush — the son and brother of two former presidents — resigned that he likely won’t get his mother to quit saying she does not want another Bush in the White House. 

“She promised me she wouldn’t keep saying this,” he said laughing. “But she is 89 years old and if you have elderly parents or grandparents, you know they speak their mind. There is not much stopping between thinking and speaking. I love her.”

Barbara Bush said earlier this month said it is “silly” the country can’t find more than a couple families to run for president. 

"And I think that the Kennedys, Clintons, Bushes — there are just more families than that. And I'm not arrogant enough to think that we alone are raising" presidential candidates. 

She has made similar comments discouraging her son to run for president in the past. 

More in Ballot Box

Jeb Bush: No talks with 'repressive regime'

Read more »