RNC announces blackout of MSNBC

The Republican National Committee on Thursday announced a blackout of MSNBC, after the news network sent out an offensive tweet knocking the GOP.

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said he banned all RNC staff from appearing on the network until MSNBC President Phil Griffin apologizes for the tweet.

“Until you personally and publicly apologize for this behavior, I have banned all RNC staff from appearing on, in association with, or booking any RNC surrogates on MSNBC,” Priebus said in a letter to Griffin.

Priebus said he is asking all Republican officials to follow his lead.

MSNBC sent out a tweet Wednesday night saying the right wing might hate a new Cheerios ad that features a biracial family, but the rest of the country would love it.

“Maybe the rightwing will hate it, but everyone else will go awww: the adorable new #Cheerios ad w/ biracial family,” the networks account tweeted out with a link to a story about the ad.

The network then deleted the tweet and apologized, saying it did not reflect the position of the network.

Priebus said the tweet reflected a pattern of offensive commentary from the network.

“This is more than just a tweet or an offhand comment,” he said. “This is part of a pattern of behavior that has gotten markedly worse, and until Phil Griffin personally apologizes and takes corrective action, we cannot be part of this network's toxic programming.”

The RNC has clashed with the network since last year, when it threatened to refuse to partner with its parent company during presidential debates due to a now-defunct series about Hillary Clinton.

MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry apologized in December after coming under fire for mocking a picture of Mitt Romney’s adopted grandson. And host Martin Bashir resigned after making vulgar remarks about the former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

“Perhaps it's time for the executives at MSNBC to consider whether their network is upholding a meaningful journalistic mission,” Priebus said.