Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) called for a federal review of security at the World Trade Center on Sunday, following reports that multiple people have evaded guards to sneak to the top of the still-under-construction tower.
The third-ranking Senate Democrat said he wants the Department of Homeland Security to monitor and train the building’s security guards, as well as perform a comprehensive review of access to the site.
“Thankfully, the incidents of trespassing were harmless; the consequences, however, could've been disastrous if individuals or terrorists or criminals looking to do real harm to the people of New York,” Schumer said, according to NY1.
Earlier this month, 16-year-old Justin Casquejo was arrested after bragging about sneaking to the top of the 1,776-foot tower. Separately, video of three skydivers who, in September, snuck to the top of the tower and then parachuted to the street below has surfaced online. Four people were charged in connection to that breach.
A top security official at The Durst Organization, a private firm that is responsible for guarding the building, has resigned over the incidents.
But Schumer said he was ultimately holding the Port Authority, which owns the World Trade Center site, responsible for issues.
"They're the public authority in charge of this; I'm holding them responsible," Schumer said.
Port Authority security chief Joseph Dunne said in a statement obtained by NY1 that the agency had taken steps to bolster security after the breaches.
"The Port Authority and other stakeholders will continue to enhance our extensive efforts to ensure world-class security as we transition from a construction site to an operating facility,” Dunne said.