Boston Marathon champ: Obama called me

 

Boston Marathon champion Meb Keflezighi said he had received a congratulatory phone call from President Obama on Tuesday.

"I have received many congratulatory calls, but I just received THE call from President @barackobama," Keflezighi tweeted.

ADVERTISEMENT
It appeared that the president placed the call while flying aboard Air Force One to Oso, Wash., where he planned to survey the damage from a recent mudslide that claimed more than 40 lives.

On Monday, White House press secretary Jay Carney offered his congratulations to Keflezighi, the first American champion of the race in 31 years, "on behalf of the president and everyone here at the White House."

"Quite an accomplishment — and a great year to do it," Carney said.

In 2013, twin bombs exploded near the race's finish line, killing 3 people and injuring hundreds more.

Last week, Obama issued a statement marking the one-year anniversary of the tragedy.

"We also know that the most vivid images from that day were not of smoke and chaos, but of compassion, kindness and strength: A man in a cowboy hat helping a wounded stranger out of harm's way; runners embracing loved ones, and each other; an EMT carrying a spectator to safety," Obama said.

"Today, we recognize the incredible courage and leadership of so many Bostonians in the wake of unspeakable tragedy. And we offer our deepest gratitude to the courageous firefighters, police officers, medical professionals, runners and spectators who, in an instant, displayed the spirit Boston was built on - perseverance, freedom and love."