Napolitano coy on White House bid

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano dodged questions Tuesday about whether she’ll run for the White House in 2016.

“My plate is so full now,” said Napolitano. “That kind of contemplating would keep me up at night, and I lose enough sleep at night as it is.”

ADVERTISEMENT
The Washington Post reported last month that Napolitano was making it known she was considering the race. The story also noted that the former Arizona governor had been criticized for not being aggressive enough on illegal immigration. As Homeland Security director, she's had a chance to change that image.

Speaking to a room full of reporters at a breakfast hosted by The Christian Science Monitor, the former Arizona governor said she was “optimistic” about immigration talks being held by a group of eight senators from both parties.

“I think now is the time. I think the election had consequences in that regard,” she said.


President Obama won more than 70 percent of the Hispanic vote in the 2012 presidential race, which had led more Republicans to call on their party to embrace immigration legislation.

Napolitano refused to reveal the details of any advice she has provided to the Senate group engaged in closed-door talks.

This story was updated at 10:02 a.m.