Law enforcement officials plan to release images of two suspects in the bombing of the Boston Marathon, The Boston Globe reported Thursday.
According to the newspaper, the suspects were seen separately on video gathered from surveillance cameras near the bombing sites.
The official said the FBI will appeal to the public for help identifying the men, who are seen in images carrying black bags.
Boston police and the FBI later issued statements clarifying that no one was in custody. Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas), who chairs the House's Homeland Security Committee, said he also had been told that no arrest was made.
Calling many reports in the immediate aftermath of the bombings "inaccurate," the FBI issued a statement imploring the media to exercise caution.
"Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate channels before reporting," the FBI said in a statement.
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D), speaking to CNN, refused to confirm that a suspect or suspects had been identified from the videos, saying he had been briefed on the latest findings of the investigation but received that information confidentially.
Patrick said that while authorities were making progress, there was a lot of "misinformation flying around."
"It's going to be slow; it's going to be methodical," he said.
President Obama and first lady Michelle ObamaMichelle ObamaObama and Trump haven’t talked since inauguration For Democrats, no clear leader Obama reportedly spending a month in French Polynesia MORE will be in Boston on Thursday morning to attend a memorial service for the victims of the attack.