The Republican National Committee (RNC) and Democratic National Committee (DNC) clashed Wednesday over a new RNC ad that the DNC says cruelly exploits the Newtown shootings.
Democratic National Committee spokesman Brad Woodhouse called the ad “disgraceful” in a tweet and “disgusting” in another.
RNC spokesman Sean Spicer shot back, saying the image was part of an ABC News package that it pulled for the ad.
The dust-up is another instance in a combative week for advocates on both sides of the gun debate. On Tuesday, the daughter of a Sandy Hook victim confronted Sen. Kelly AyotteKelly AyotteLate polls show Dems gaining in governor races High anxiety for GOP Trump: 'Very disappointed' GOP senator dropped support MORE (R-N.H.) over her vote against a measure last month that would have expanded background checks for gun buyers.
The White House pushed hard for Congress to act on gun control legislation, but Senate Majority Leader Harry ReidHarry ReidDems double down on Nevada Latino vote Heck's rejection of Trump imperils Nevada Senate race Pelosi blasts GOP leaders for silence on Trump MORE (D-Nev.) pulled a comprehensive reform package after a measure to expand background checks failed to get the 60 votes it needed to move forward.
The ad was meant to focus on criticism that came out of the president’s Tuesday press conference, in which Obama said he couldn’t make an obstinate Congress bend to enact the reforms he’s pushing. The president replied sarcastically to a question about whether he still had enough “juice” to get something significant done in his second term.
“Maybe I should just pack up and go home,” Obama said.