Former Secretary of State Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonTrump mocks 'elites' at campaign rally Trump backs down in rare reversal Election Countdown: Family separation policy may haunt GOP in November | Why Republican candidates are bracing for surprises | House Dems rake in record May haul | 'Dumpster fire' ad goes viral MORE's handling of the Benghazi attack should disqualify her from further public office, Sen. Rand PaulRandal (Rand) Howard PaulOvernight Health Care — Presented by the Association of American Medical Colleges — Key ObamaCare groups in limbo | Opioids sending thousands of kids into foster care | House passes bill allowing Medicaid to pay for opioid treatments US watchdog: 'We failed' to stem Afghan opium production Senate passes 6B defense bill MORE (R-Ky.) wrote Friday. 

In an op-ed, Paul wrote too many questions about Clinton's involvement remain unanswered for her to be given a future public office. He also suggested Clinton ignored requests for more security at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi before the attack.

ADVERTISEMENT
"The evidence we had in January already suggested that Mrs. Clinton ignored repeated requests for more security in Benghazi," Paul writes in an op-ed published in The Washington Times on Friday. "The new evidence we have today — and that continues to mount — suggests that at the very least, Mrs. Clinton should never hold high office again."

Paul's op-ed comes a few days after a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing in which a number of State Department officials offered new criticism of how the State Department handled the terrorist attack. One of the witnesses said it was always clear Benghazi had been a terrorist attack. 

Another witness said a State Department review of the attack didn't hold high-level officials accountable for communicating the need for stronger security in Benghazi, though the witness did not point the finger at Clinton.

Clinton has regularly been mentioned as a strong potential candidate for president in 2016. Polls show she is among the most popular politicians in the country and her four-year term at Foggy Bottom generally received good reviews.

But the Benghazi attack that left U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans dead has emerged as a stain on that record, and Republicans have promised they will continue to scrutinize her involvement. 

Two outside GOP groups have released Web ads ripping Clinton over State's response to the attack.

ABC News reported Friday that the State Department and the White House edited talking points on the attacks. The edits, according to emails and documents obtained by ABC News, reportedly included removing references to the event as a terrorist attack or that terrorist groups were involved. 

Paul said his office would continue to encourage witnesses to testify. 

"My office is currently seeking out the witnesses and survivors of Benghazi to testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee," Paul said. "To date, the Obama administration has refused to let them testify."