White House senior adviser Dan Pfeiffer on Sunday said it was “irrelevant” where President Obama was the night of the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, and that it was “offensive” to suggest he allowed Americans to die.
Pfeiffer said Obama was kept abreast of the unfolding attack, which killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans last September, by members of the National Security Council.
But, Pfeiffer stressed, it was not important to pinpoint whether the president was in the Situation Room or not, after being pressed on the matter by “Fox News Sunday’s” Chris Wallace.
“He was kept up to date throughout the day,” he said.
“I don't remember what room the president was in on that night. And that's a largely irrelevant fact.”
“He spoke to the Secretary of Defense and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs earlier [and] the Secretary of State later. And as events unfolded, he was kept up to date.”
“The premise of your question is that somehow there was something that could have been done differently, that would have changed the outcome here.
Pfeiffer pointed to the Accountability Review Board report conducted by former Ambassador Thomas Pickering and former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen, saying that they found no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the White House and that to allege otherwise is “offensive.”
“The assertions from Republicans here that somehow the president allowed this to happen or didn't take action is offensive. It is absolutely an offensive premise and there's no evidence to support it,” he said.
Republicans have been investigating the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya since last year about what could have been done to prevent it, what the administration knew immediately following, and whether officials tried to intentionally mislead the public for political purposes.