Passenger jet crashes in San Francisco

An Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 crashed while landing at San Francisco International Airport on Saturday, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

There were 290 passengers, one infant and 16 crew members aboard the flight, 214 Asiana Airlines, which originated in Seoul, South Korea, officials said.

"At this time, there are two fatalities associated with this incident," San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White told reporters late Saturday.

She said 48 people were initially transported to area hospitals and 82 more would be transported with less-severe injuries.

San Francisco General Hospital initially said it was treating 10 people from the flight, all in critical condition. The hospital later said 17 more victims had arrived in conditions ranging from critical to good.

"There is no indication of terrorism involved," FBI Special Agent in Charge David John said during the news conference in San Francisco.

President Obama was briefed on the crash at Camp David and the White House said his team would continue to update him as more information came in.

 "The President expressed his gratitude for the first responders and directed his team to stay in constant contact with the federal, state and local partners as they investigate and respond to this event," according to a White House statement. "His thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost a loved one and all those affected by the crash."

Asiana Airlines said the flight was carrying 77 Korean citizens, 141 Chinese citizens, 61 U.S. citizens and 1 Japanese citizen. The nationalities of the remaining passengers was not immediately available.   

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) was one of the first lawmakers to respond to the plane crash.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) praised the "swift response" of rescue personnel.

"Everything's on the table at this point," National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Deborah Hersman told reporters late Saturday as investigators prepared to leave Washington.

"The triple 7 has been around for a while … we have not determined what the focus of this investigation is," she said.

Investigators will be looking for the cockpit voice and flight data recorders as soon as they reach San Francisco.

NTSB staffers in Washington were collecting information on air traffic control operations, weather and maintenance, she said.

Hersman also said officials have been working with counterparts in South Korea, who have been invited to participate in the investigation.

Flight 214's pilot made no distress call prior to the landing, according to multiple reports.

Air traffic into and out of San Francisco was halted, according to an FAA advisory, after the incident. Two runways reopened early Saturday evening, the airport said.

Early video of the crash showed dark smoke billowing from the wreckage. Evacuation slides were also visible from the plane.

A helicopter and fire boat were dispatched to search for survivors in the water of the San Francisco Bay near the runway.

--Kyle Balluck contributed.

--This is a breaking news report and will be updated.

--This report was originally posted at 3:27 p.m. and last updated at 10:53 p.m.