Former Rep. Anthony Weiner’s (D-N.Y.) bid for New York City mayor faced another setback Saturday with reports his campaign manager quit the team.
The New York Times reported that Danny Kedem, the head of Weiner’s campaign, resigned following last week’s disclosures that the candidate had continued sending explicit sexual messages to young women on the internet long after the same revelations forced him to resign his House seat in 2011.
Reports said Kedem had previously worked on a New Haven, Conn. mayoral race and on former Secretary of State Hillary ClintonHillary Rodham Clinton5 challenges for new DNC chairman Tom Perez New DNC chair Perez will attend Trump's speech as former rival's guest Dem questions FBI chief's commitment to Russia review MORE’s 2008 presidential bid.
The news is the latest blow to Weiner’s campaign, which once saw him leading in the polls.
Last week, Weiner publicly admitted that he had sent lewd messages to women as recently as last summer using the online alias “Carlos Danger.”
An NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll showed City Council Speaker Christine Quinn now leading the Democratic primary with 25 percent support to Weiner in second place with 16.
Weiner has also faced harsh criticism from fellow Democrats, with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) calling him “disrespectful of women” and his behavior “reprehensible.”
Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Weiner needed “serious psychiatric help” and urged him to quit the race.
Weiner has rejected those calls, saying that it is up to the voters of New York to decide if he is fit for office.
“Nancy Pelosi, she’s not going to have a chance to vote for me,” Weiner told reporters on Friday.