The Dakota Access pipeline will likely be built without a hitch once President-elect Donald TrumpDonald John TrumpIvanka Trump pens op-ed on kindergartners learning tech Bharara, Yates tamp down expectations Mueller will bring criminal charges Overnight Cybersecurity: Equifax security employee left after breach | Lawmakers float bill to reform warrantless surveillance | Intel leaders keeping collusion probe open MORE takes office, North Dakota’s new governor says.

 

"I expect the world's going to change dramatically on that day relative to finding resolution on this issue," Gov. Doug Burgum (R) told Reuters in an interview published Friday. "I would expect that [Energy Transfer Partners] will get its easement and it will go through."

President Obama denied ETP a permit needed to complete construction on the pipeline last month. Trump, however, has said he would review that decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
The controversial pipeline, which is intended to transfer oil from North Dakota to a shipping point in Illinois, has been the subject of protests by the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and activist groups, who argue that it threatens a local water supply and Native American cultural sites.

 

The Army Corps of Engineers announced last month that it would explore other routes for the massive $3.8 billion pipeline. But Trump has expressed his support for the oil project as originally envisioned, meaning he could revisit the Obama administration’s decision.

Burgum was elected last year on promises of streamlining state government. He has also accused the Obama administration of stalling the project for political purposes, urging the president to issue the necessary easement to complete the pipeline.

“If the current administration will not act, then I will ask the Trump administration to do the same thing,” Burgum said in a video statement in December.