Canadian school board cancels field trips to US following travel ban
© Getty Images

A Canadian public school board has canceled field trips to the United States following President Trump’s executive order temporarily barring visitors from seven Muslim-majority countries.

The Greater Essex County District School Board, which oversees 35,000 students in Windsor, Ontario, was concerned about whether students would be able to safely travel across the border, the school’s superintendent told the Detroit Free Press.

“It’s just right now the uncertainty of whether all of our students would be able to cross,” she told the newspaper.

The school board's policy, reached last Monday, will be in effect until the end of February. At the end of the month, administrators will re-evaluate the decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
Schools in the district were expected to make several trips to the U.S. this year, including to Detroit and Washington, D.C.

Trump's executive order temporarily barred people from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Libya and Somalia from entering the U.S. It also temporarily suspends the country's refugee resettlement program and indefinitely suspends resettling refugees from Syria.

A federal judge in Seattle halted the executive order nationwide earlier this month. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the Trump administration’s request to restore the travel ban.