Justice restores Amber Alert Web page

The Amber Alert Web page on the Justice Department's online site was restored late Monday morning after a report spread saying the government shutdown had closed the program itself.

"At no point has AmberAlert system been interrupted during shutdown. to prevent confusion, informational DOJ site has been restored," tweeted Brian Fallon, director of the DOJ's public affairs office.

Numerous Web pages on federal agencies’ sites have either been shut down or haven’t been updated since the shutdown began Tuesday. Some agency websites don't show up at all.

A Justice Department page that explains the Amber Alert system had led to an error saying it was “not found."

A furloughed Department of Justice employee returned to the job on Monday to turn the federal Amber Alert website back on, the White House said.

White House press secretary Jay Carney said that the website in question was only an "informational tool" and that "at no point during the shutdown has the Amber Alert system been interrupted."

But, he said, the website was turned back on "to eliminate confusion."

“It’s all functioning,” Patti Davis, communications director for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC), said in an email to The Washington Post. “Only the DOJ (Department of Justice) Web site, which is informational, is down. The states run AMBER Alerts, and NCMEC does secondary alerts. Service has not been impacted.”

ADVERTISEMENT
The program, which distributes bulletins to the media about missing children, was named after Amber Hagerman, who was kidnapped in Texas and later found murdered in the mid-1990s.

Rep. Roger Williams (R-Texas) tweeted Monday about the shutdown of the Amber Alert page.

“This is a new low. Obama SPENT money to close natl parks but shut down the Amber Alert website. Look for yourself,” tweeting a link to the Web page.

“Finding missing kids is non-essential to the Obama administration. #AmberAlert website is down, FLOTUS nutrition website is up. #priorities,” Williams wrote in another tweet.

The website for Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative is up and running, but its blog hasn’t been updated since the day before the government closed last week.

— This story was updated at 2:33 p.m.