Lawyer for O'Reilly accusers: Fox News host fired because we persisted
© Getty

The lawyer who represented several of Bill O’Reilly's sexual harassment accusers released a "victory statement" on Wednesday, following an announcement that "The O'Reilly Factor" host will not return to Fox News.

"They did it because we persisted," attorney Lisa Bloom said in the statement.

Fox's decision came after O’Reilly’s show lost numerous advertisers following a New York Times report earlier this month that revealed that five women were paid $13 million by Fox or O'Reilly to settle sexual harassment suits.

"This is what happens when women speak our truth: we can slay dragons," Bloom said.

ADVERTISEMENT
"I am very proud to have stood with my brave clients who stood up for themselves and all the silenced women," she added.

Bloom also praised her clients individually and said that Fox News should have ousted O’Reilly in 2004, when producer Andrea Mackris accused O'Reilly of sexual harassment.

"Wendy Walsh is the very definition of courage. My anonymous accuser was equally brave in calling in her report to Fox News. And my third accuser client, Caroline Heldman, just called in her complaint to the Fox News hotline today," she said.

"Fox News should have fired him in 2004 when the first complaint was made, but at least they did it now."

21st Century Fox announced their decision to remove O’Reilly after a "careful review of the allegations."

"After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” the network said in a statement.

O’Reilly will be replaced by Tucker Carlson, who is moving into the 8 p.m. time slot, according to Fox.