Outdoor-clothing maker Patagonia hit back at President Trump on Wednesday, threatening to sue over an executive order calling for the Department of the Interior to review national monuments designated during Bill Clinton
William (Bill) Jefferson ClintonA Supreme Court gamble for Republicans in election year The Supreme Court nomination process and consultation Who really wants to abolish ICE? Surely not the American people MORE's, George W. Bush's and Barack Obama
Barack Hussein ObamaBeyond enthusiasm, the 'Resistance' of 2018 is not the Tea Party of 2010 The 'McConnell Rule' is law, and Senate Democrats should sue to enforce it There's a better response to abuse than abolishing ICE MORE's presidencies.
“A president does not have the authority to rescind a National Monument. An attempt to change the boundaries ignores the review process of cultural and historical characteristics and the public input,” Patagonia CEO Rose Marcario said in a statement. “We’re watching the Trump administration’s actions very closely and preparing to take every step necessary, including legal action, to defend our most treasured public landscapes from coast to coast.”
Trump ordered federal officials to review two decades of national monument designations earlier in the day Wednesday, calling them “another egregious abuse of federal power.”
Patagonia said it would "fight with everyone" it has to in order to preserve the Obama administration's designation of tribal lands to form Bears Ears National Monument in Utah.
"We take this as a sign that Trump and his team prefer to cater to fossil fuel interests and state land grabs for unsustainable development, rather than preserve a vital part of our nation's heritage for future generations by protecting federal lands owned by every citizen," the Patagonia statement read.
“As stewards of America’s federal public lands, the Trump administration has an obligation to protect these most special wild places,” Marcario said. “Unfortunately, it seems clear they intend to do the opposite.”