Multiple people hit by speeding vehicle in Times Square
© Getty Images

Officials say there is no apparent terrorism connection to an incident in Times Square late Thursday morning in which a car mowed down pedestrians in a crowded walkway.

Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) said 23 people were injured. One fatality, a young woman, has been confirmed.

Witnesses told Reuters that the motorist drove against traffic and onto the sidewalk. Officials said the car drove for over three blocks until the vehicle stopped at 45th Street and Broadway after crashing into a pole.

ADVERTISEMENT
Pictures from the scene show a purple four-door sedan on its side after catching fire.

The New York Police Department said its driver is in custody.

De Blasio said the driver is a U.S. citizen and former armed services member with a criminal record. He added that 26-year-old Richard Rojas is being tested for drugs and alcohol. Rojas has previously been charged with drunken driving.

The mayor added that anti-terror units are being deployed throughout the city out of precaution.

“Based on the information that we have at the moment, there is no indication this was an act of terror. That being said, we are reinforcing locations around city, out of an abundance of caution. Major sites in this city will get additional coverage from our anti-terror units,” he said.

President Trump has been briefed on the situation and will continue to receive updates, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said.

— Jordan Fabian and Melanie Zanona contributed to this breaking news report, which was last updated at 1:55 p.m.