CIA head: Bin Laden's porn stash won't be released
© Getty Images

Osama bin Laden's porn collection will not be among the items released by the CIA, Director Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoSenate Dems press for info on any deals from Trump-Putin meeting Pence, Pompeo urged Trump to clarify Russia remarks: report Senate weighs new Russia response amid Trump backlash MORE announced Wednesday.

In comments first reported by Newsweek, Pompeo told Fox News's Bret Baier that the pornographic materials and other "copyrighted" media would not be released to the public.

“There’s some pornography, there’s some copyrighted material. Everything other than those items will be released in the weeks ahead," Pompeo told Fox News.

ADVERTISEMENT
According to Reuters, the materials primarily consisted of "modern electronically recorded video," in the form of VHS tapes.

Pompeo cast the release of other nonclassified documents as a way to prevent another attack like the one unleashed by bin Laden on Sept. 11, 2001.

"Once we are sure that there’s not classified material and that there’s not things that we can’t release, I want to make sure the world gets to see them so that we can have lots of hands touching them and making good judgments about how to make sure that we don’t have a 9/11, that we don’t have this kind of risk again," Pompeo said.

The CIA previously rejected a Freedom of Information Act request for the pornography from the website BroBible in 2015.

"We are not going to release these materials due to the nature of their contents,”  a spokesman for then-Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said at the time.

Bin Laden was killed in a 2011 Navy SEAL raid, almost a decade after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon that left nearly 3,000 Americans dead. He was tracked down to a mansion in an affluent part of Abbottabad, a city about 30 miles north of Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan.