Trump FEMA nominee withdraws following NBC report
© Getty Images

President Trump's nominee for the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) No. 2 spot has pulled his name from consideration, according to NBC News. 

Daniel A. Craig withdrew on Wednesday after NBC reported on a federal probe showing he had falsified government travel and timekeeping records during his time in the Bush administration in 2005. 

"Given the distraction this will cause the Agency in a time when they cannot afford to lose focus, I have withdrawn from my nomination," Craig told NBC News. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The joint FBI and Homeland Security probe found Craig had awarded FEMA contracts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, breaking conflict-of-interest laws. The report, which NBC reviewed, was from 2011 but never made public.

He had previously served as FEMA's Director of Recovery, according to the White House. 

The White House announced its intent to hire him in July. 

Craig has maintained his innocence and told NBC he has never hidden the probe from the White House or the Senate, which would have voted on his confirmation. 

Craig most recently worked at the consulting firm Adjusters International, Inc., which dealt with disaster preparedness. 

The development comes as FEMA finds itself in the spotlight, working to provide recovery aid to Florida, Texas and Louisiana, which were battered in by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.