Democrat mega-donor Weinstein accused of sexual harassment
© Getty Images

Hollywood mogul and prominent Democratic donor Harvey Weinstein issued an apology on Thursday after The New York Times reported a slew of sexual harassment allegations against the film producer going back decades. 

"I realized some time ago that I needed to be a better person and my interactions with the people who I work with have changed," Weinstein said in a statement to the publication. He did not confirm the full extent of the accusations reported.

"I appreciate the way I've behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it," he said. 

ADVERTISEMENT
Weinstein also announced he plans to take a leave of absence from his eponymous film company, as confirmed to the Los Angeles Times.

The statement comes after the Times published an exposé on Weinstein that contained detailed accusations from actresses that he had previously worked with. The actresses interviewed include Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan. 

Weinstein has publicly and financially supported various Democratic lawmakers and causes over the years. 

He held a fundraiser at his New York City home in 2016 for former presidential nominee Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonGillibrand urges opposition to Kavanaugh: Fight for abortion rights 'is now or never' Bannon announces pro-Trump movie, operation team ahead of midterms: report Fox News host hits Giuliani: Dossier isn't why Mueller probe was started MORE and endowed a faculty chair at Rutgers University in feminist icon Gloria Steinem's name. 

Former first daughter Malia Obama famously interned at the New York offices of the Weinstein Company earlier this year. 

Weinstein said during the absence from his company he will take part in therapy, educate himself on sexual abuse and "channel" his anger into combatting the National Rifle Association. He went on to say he hopes that the pro-gun group's leader, Wayne LaPierre, "enjoys his retirement party."