While DHS is standing pat on border security in FY 2010, they are moving with alacrity to gear up for a full-scale amnesty for illegal aliens in the coming year. Though legislation that would grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens is still but a twinkle in the eye of President Obama and Sen. Charles SchumerCharles SchumerOvernight Tech: Tech pushes for debate spotlight | Disney may bid for Twitter | Dem seeks Yahoo probe Saudis hire lobbyists amid 9/11 fight Consumer bureau remains partisan target after Wells Fargo settlement MORE (D-N.Y.), the presumptive congressional author of such a bill, The New York Times reports that the Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) agency is already committing resources in preparation for processing millions of applications. “We are under way to prepare for that,” Alejandro Mayorkas, the director of USCIS said.
Both the Obama administration and Sen. Schumer have sought to assure the American public that an unpopular illegal alien amnesty would be balanced by meaningful efforts to prevent another onslaught of large-scale illegal immigration. In June, Sen. Schumer released a seven point plan for reforming U.S. immigration policy. The second of these points states, “Operational control of our borders – through significant additional increases in infrastructure, technology, and border personnel – must be achieved within a year of enactment of legislation.”
With just 894 miles of borders under “effective control,” and no plan to bring even a single additional mile under control in the coming fiscal year, it is hard to imagine how Sen. Schumer’s pledge of “operational control” of our borders within one year of enacting his legislation could possibly be achieved. Moreover, with DHS already pouring money and manpower into preparing USCIS for what Schumer’s plan describes as the “process of converting [millions of illegal aliens] to legal status and earning a path to citizenship,” it is unlikely that DHS would have the resources to fulfill the promise of border security even if they were actually committed to that goal.
Given the enormity of the threats to our nation, no American can feel reassured by the knowledge that the cabinet department established to defend our homeland security has little more than 10 percent of our borders under control. It is even more disturbing that the people running DHS seem content with what they have achieved and see no urgency in gaining control over the remaining 90 percent of our borders that are vulnerable to terrorists, criminals and future illegal migration.