The Big Question is a feature where influential lawmakers, pundits and interest group leaders give their answers to a question that’s driving discussion in news circles around the country.

Some responses are gathered via e-mail, while others are gathered in person via tape recorder.

Today’s Big Question is:
Is Rush Limbaugh good or bad for Republicans?

See responses below from Sen. Orrin HatchOrrin Grant HatchOvernight Cybersecurity: House Intel votes to release Russia report | House lawmakers demand Zuckerberg testify | Senators unveil updated election cyber bill Omnibus includes search-and-seize provision New kid on the tech block MORE (R-Utah), Sen. Kit Bond (R-Mo.), Sen. Patrick LeahyPatrick Joseph LeahyMcCabe oversaw criminal probe into Sessions over testimony on Russian contacts: report Graham calls for Senate Judiciary hearing on McCabe firing McCabe firing roils Washington MORE (D-Vt.), Sen. John ThuneJohn Randolph ThuneGOP pushes to change Senate rules for Trump With shutdown nearing, focus turns to Rand Paul Spending package extends FAA through September MORE (R-S.D.), Sen. John McCainJohn Sidney McCainAfghanistan is our longest war ever and Congress has abandoned all responsibility Kremlin: ‘We have a long way to go’ before any breakthrough with US The GOP is Trump's party now MORE (R-Ariz.), Sen. Ben CardinBenjamin (Ben) Louis Cardin Senate Dem hoping Pompeo now has 'greater appreciation' for balancing national security, civil rights Time for the Pentagon to create a system to better track its spending Trump, lawmakers cautious on North Korea signal MORE (D-Md.), Sen. Carl LevinCarl Milton LevinSen. Gillibrand, eyeing 2020 bid, rankles some Democrats The Hill's 12:30 Report Congress needs bipartisanship to fully investigate Russian influence MORE (D-Mich.), Sen. Bob CorkerRobert (Bob) Phillips CorkerSenate approves .3 trillion spending bill, sending to Trump Senate bracing for possible long weekend Overnight Defense: Trump replaces McMaster with Bolton | .3T omnibus awaits Senate vote | Bill gives Pentagon flexibility on spending | State approves B arms sale to Saudis MORE (R-Tenn.), Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Sen. Bob CaseyRobert (Bob) Patrick CaseyHouse GOP frets over Pennsylvania race Do the numbers add up for Democrat Conor Lamb in Pennsylvania? Poll: Five Senate Dems would lose to GOP challenger if elections held today MORE (D-Pa.), Sen. Max BaucusMax Sieben BaucusFarmers hit Trump on trade in new ad Feinstein’s trouble underlines Democratic Party’s shift to left 2020 Dems pose a big dilemma for Schumer MORE (D-Mont.), Rep. Rick LarsenRichard (Rick) Ray LarsenFive things lawmakers want attached to the trillion funding bill Top trade Dems hit Trump on tariffs Dem rep mocks Trump on military parade: His last one 'not very well attended' MORE (D-Wash.), Rep. Allen Boyd (D-Fla.), Lanny Davis, Celinda Lake, Dr. Herbert London, Tom Fitton, and Americans United for Change.

Read the previous Big Question here.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said:
I think he's good. He's a very articulate guy, he is one of our great conservative spokespersons. But the party's more than just conservatism. We cover the whole gamut, the whole tent. He's a very effective spokesperson; I think the world of him.

Sen. Kit Bond (R-Mo.) said:
He's a great resource for all interested Americans, and he provides very timely and thoughtful analysis and commentary.

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) said:
Well, they seem to do whatever he tells them to, so they must feel he's doing well.

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) said:
I think that Rush inspires the Republican base at a time when there's a real shortage of morale out there. Like everybody, he says things that not all of us agree with. But I think that his point about the Republican Party staying true to its core values and principles is a message that is well-taken.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said:
He's another voice of the Republican Party and everybody's welcome to join in the debate.

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) said:
You know, he's both. I think that he certainly has a wide audience that is very influenced by what he says, so he is very influential individual, and I think at times he is so difficult to believe that he presents a credibility problem for the Republicans.

Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) said:
I think his views are extreme, so his views aren't particularly helpful for America.

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said:
I don't get into speculating about who's good and who's bad for the Republican Party. We're in tough times as a country and I think this budget points out a huge change in direction. You know, I certainly plan to do my small part to try to make sure that we don't move to a government-dominant system in this country. And all those people who pursue that same goal in a fair and meaningful way, then certainly I appreciate it.

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) said:
He's good for the Republican Party; he's good for America.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) said:
Well, I think loose linps sink ships is what they used to say during that big war. I think his comments are illustrative of that.

Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) said:
I think I'll leave that up to the Republican Party to decide.

Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.) said:
That's for others to decide, that's not for me to decide.

Rep. Rick Larsen (D-Wash.) said:
I don't listen much to Rush Limbaugh, and I think in the end he's probably going to be a detriment to the Republican party. I encourage him to keep talking.

Rep. Allen Boyd (D-Fla.) said:
I feel like you know that's for something for the Republicans to figure out. I listen to Rush Limbaugh because I think he's silly.

Celinda Lake, president, Lake Research Partners, said:
Good for the base. Bad for appealing to the broad electorate. Good for white men. Bad for women.

Lanny Davis, former special counsel to President Clinton, said:
I am urging all Democrats to support Rush and help him continue to speak for the Republican Party.

Go Rush Go!!! Read the full response here.

Herbert London, President of the Hudson Institute, said:
Rush Limbaugh is one of many spokesmen for conservative politicians. But he is not an authorized spokesman for the Republican party. If his ideas can resuscitate a moribund party so much the better. Read the full response here.

Tom Fitton, president of Judicial Watch, said:
The Left always attacks effective voices opposing them.  Rush Limbaugh is an effective voice, so now we see him being attacked by government officials from President Obama on down.  The rise of liberal support for the so-called Fairness Doctrine and “diversity” in radio evidences liberals’ desire to silence an effectiave opposition against the leftist political agenda. Read the full response here.

Americans United for Change's Lauren Weiner said:

The power vacuum in the Republican Party has allowed Rush Limbaugh to emerge stronger than ever. Clearly for a party struggling to find a new message, propping up a messenger who wants the President to fail is problematic. Yet Republicans continue to kowtow to Limbaugh, willing to follow wherever he may lead. Read the full response here.