Former official says some photos of bin Laden's corpse could be released

ADVERTISEMENT
The Obama administration had initially said it wouldn’t release the graphic photos after bin Laden was killed last year. “We don’t need to spike the football,” Obama said in a "60 Minutes" interview.

The decision prompted Judicial Watch, an activist group that frequently files FOIA requests for government documents, to sue for the photos to be released.

Metcalfe told The Atlantic Wire that the government’s response to the lawsuit raised the question whether sensitive information could be redacted from released records.

White House press secretary Jay Carney said Tuesday that the White House position on releasing the photos has not moved.

"I honestly have not seen those reports,” Carney said. “The president's position on the release of the images of Osama bin Laden in particular was very clearly stated at the time and has not changed."