BP said Friday victims of last year’s Gulf of Mexico oil spill do not need compensation for future economic losses because the region has made significant progress in its recovery from the disaster.
“The current economic data do not suggest that individual and business claimants face a material risk of future loss caused by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill,” BP said in a document filed with the Gulf Coast Claims Facility (GCCG) Thursday. The Associated Press first reported on the document earlier Friday.
BP stressed in the document that it “remains committed to paying all legitimate claims,” language the company has been using since the April 20 disaster that killed 11 rig workers.
But the company called on the GCCF to reevaluate the way it calculates claims “based on the current state of the Gulf economy.”
“Multiple lines of evidence demonstrate that, to the extent that portions of the Gulf economy were impacted by the spill, recovery had occurred by the end of 2010, and that positive economic performance continues into 2011, with 2011 economic metrics exceeding pre-spill performance,” BP said.
BP identified at least one group that could continue to face economic hardship from the spill. Any oyster harvester that can show that his or her beds were destroyed by the spill should continue to receive compensation, BP said.
The GCCF has doled out more than $4.5 billion since it took over the process from BP in August of 2010. The program is slated to run through 2013.
The oil spill claims process entered its second stage at the end of last year. Feinberg stopped processing initial emergency payments and began doling out lump-sum final payments. Claimants can also opt for interim payments.