But senators did not reveal any details about the student loan agreement, such as how they have agreed to pay for the roughly $6 billion cost of keeping the loan rate at 3.4 percent. That key detail seemed to be tied up with all the other details, such as whether the House GOP would accept the tentative Senate agreement, and whether there is even a highway bill agreement to which it could be attached.
In the meantime, the House and Senate meet Wednesday to work on other legislation.
The House will also debate two more motions to instruct House members negotiating the highway bill, one from Rep. Janice Hahn (D-Calif.), the other from Rep. Mark Critz (D-Pa.). These non-binding motions appear less and less useful, although more and more of them are cropping up.
The House will also vote on suspension bills debated Tuesday. A list of remaining suspension bills appears at the end of this post.
The Senate meets at 9:30 a.m. to continue debate on S. 1940, the Flood Insurance Reform and Modernization Act. Before the Senate adjourned on Tuesday, Reid indicated he was having trouble reaching a deal on which amendments to the bill would be considered.
The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) expires at the end of July, so there is no immediate pressure on the Senate to finish the bill this week.
Suspension bills that could get votes in the House on Wednesday are:
• H.R. 5889, the Nuclear Terrorism Conventions Implementation and Safety of Maritime Navigation Act of 2012.
• H.R. 4018, the Public Safety Officers' Benefits Improvements Act of 2012.
• H.R. 3412, to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1421 Veterans Memorial Drive in Abbeville, La., the "Sergeant Richard Franklin Abshire Post Office Building."
• H.R. 3501, to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 125 Kerr Ave. in Rome City, Ind., the "SPC Nicholas Scott Hartge Post Office."
• H.R. 3772, to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 150 South Union St. in Canton, Miss., the "First Sergeant Landres Cheeks Post Office Building."
• H.R. 3276, to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2810 East Hillsborough Ave. in Tampa, Fla., the "Reverend Abe Brown Post Office Building."
• H.R. 4251, the Securing Maritime Activities through Risk-based Targeting for Port Security Act.
• H.R. 4005, the Gauging American Port Security Act.
• H.R. 1447, the Aviation Security Stakeholder Participation Act of 2011.
• H.R. 5843, to amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to permit use of certain grant funds for training conducted in conjunction with a national laboratory or research facility.
• H.R. 3173, to direct the secretary of Homeland Security to reform the process for the enrollment, activation, issuance and renewal of a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) to require, in total, not more than one in-person visit to a designated enrollment center.