However, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) said Monday that the Senate hopes to complete work on that bill Tuesday.
The Senate will consider a substitute amendment to the bill from Sens. Tim Johnson (D-S.D.) and Richard Shelby (R-Ala.).
At noon, the Senate will vote on the nomination of Robin Rosenbaum to be U.S. district judge for the Southern District of Florida.
The House meets at noon for speeches, then 2 p.m. for legislative work on 15 suspension bills, including several relating to maritime security. Members are also expected to start work on H.R. 5972, the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act for 2013.
After 6:30 p.m. votes on the suspension bills, members are expected to start work on amendments to the Transportation spending bill, and hold another series of votes on those amendments late Tuesday night.
The House should also vote on two more highway bill "tribbles," or motions to instruct conferees. One, from House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), would instruct the House to accept the Senate highway bill, and the other, from Rep. Diane Black (R-Tenn.), would call on the House to oppose Senate language that provides grant funding for states' anti-distracted-driver programs.
Regardless of the outcomes, the motions appear unlikely to affect ongoing negotiations to finalize a highway bill this week, or extend the deadline if no broader agreement is in reach.
The suspension bills up in the House are:
• H.R. 4850, the Enabling Energy Saving Innovations Act.
• H.R. 5625, the Collinsville Renewable Energy Promotion Act.
• H.R. 5889, the Nuclear Terrorism Conventions Implementation and Safety of Maritime Navigation Act of 2012.
• H.R. 4223, the Safe Doses Act.
• H.R. 4018, the Public Safety Officers' Benefits Improvements Act of 2012.
• H.R. 3501, to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 125 Kerr Ave. in Rome City, Indiana, the "SPC Nicholas Scott Hartge Post Office."
• H.R. 3412, to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1421 Veterans Memorial Drive in Abbeville, La., the "Sergeant Richard Franklin Abshire Post Office Building."
• H.R. 3772, to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 150 South Union St. in Canton, Miss., the "First Sergeant Landres Cheeks Post Office Building."
• H.R. 3276, to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2810 East Hillsborough Ave. in Tampa, Fla., the "Reverend Abe Brown Post Office Building."
• Senate Amendment to H.R. 2297, to promote the development of the Southwest waterfront in the District of Columbia, and for other purposes.
• H.R. 4251, the Securing Maritime Activities through Risk-based Targeting for Port Security Act.
• H.R. 4005, the Gauging American Port Security Act.
• H.R. 1447, the Aviation Security Stakeholder Participation Act of 2011.
• H.R. 5843, to amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to permit use of certain grant funds for training conducted in conjunction with a national laboratory or research facility.
• H.R. 3173, to direct the secretary of Homeland Security to reform the process for the enrollment, activation, issuance and renewal of a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) to require, in total, not more than one in-person visit to a designated enrollment center.