During a Thursday hearing on the bill, the committee heard testimony from witnesses from Newtown, Conn., where a gunman killed 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary in December. The committee will now take up the bill and consider amendments to the legislation.
The committee will also markup more moderate gun-control measures on reducing illegal gun trafficking and enhancing the national background check system to keep criminals from buying guns.
Sen. Barbara BoxerBarbara BoxerThe Trail 2016: GOP stages of grief Cruz fouls out in Indiana Carter pledges probe of sex assault testimony MORE’s (D-Calif.) bill, S. 146, to better protect schools from gun violence will also be considered in committee on Thursday.
U.S. Attorney General Eric HolderEric H. HolderThe Hill's 12:30 Report The Trail 2016: Smelling victory TMZ: Unreleased video convinced prosecutors to forego charges against Lewandowski MORE will testify before Leahy’s committee during an oversight hearing on the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Wednesday. Holder can expect sharp questioning from Republicans who have been critical of his handling of the DOJ.
Details on these and other key hearings next week follow:
Senate Armed Services
- March 5, “U.S. Central Command and U.S. Special Operations Command”
9:30 a.m., 216 Hart Senate Office Building
- March 7, “U.S. Africa Command and U.S. Transportation Command”
9:30 a.m., 106 Dirksen Senate Office Building
- March 7, “Patterns of Abuse: Assessing Bank Secrecy Act Compliance and Enforcement”
10 a.m., 538 Dirksen Senate Office Building
- March 5, "Reducing the Deficit by Eliminating Wasteful Spending in the Tax Code”
10:30 a.m., 608 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Senate Energy and Natural Resources
- March 7, “To Consider the Nomination of Sally JewellSally JewellInterior chief: ‘We will have climate refugees’ Thoughtful approach will protect nation’s parks for the long term Tensions rise over land in the age of Obama MORE to be the Secretary of the Interior”
10 a.m., 366 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions
- March 7, “Safe and Supportive Schools: Lessons from the Field”
430 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Senate Homeland Security
- March 6, “The Department of Homeland Security at 10 Years: A Progress Report on Management”
10 a.m., 342 Dirksen Senate Office Building
- March 7, “The Cybersecurity Partnership Between the Private Sector and Our Government: Protecting Our National and Economic Security”
2:30 p.m. G50 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Senate Indian Affairs
- March 7, “Listening Session on Tribal Priorities for the 113th Congress”
9 a.m., 628 Dirksen Senate Office Building
- March 6, “Oversight of the U.S. Department of Justice”
9:30 a.m., 226 Dirksen Senate Office Building
- March 7, “Markup: Gun-Control Legislation”
10 a.m., 226 Dirksen Senate Office Building