White House spokesman Jay Carney released a statement on Tuesday saying that the Obama administration remains committed to bringing the Benghazi perpetrators to justice.
“As we near this day of remembrance, we continue to mourn the death of our cherished colleagues and honor their dedication to public service,” he continued. “We remain committed to bringing the perpetrators of the Benghazi attacks to justice and to ensuring the safety of our brave personnel serving overseas.”
Wednesday marks the one-year anniversary of the deadly Benghazi, Libya, terrorist attack that ended with the deaths of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
The Benghazi incident has been the most high-profile and longest running controversy of the Obama presidency, as Republicans have alleged incompetency in protecting the U.S. diplomatic mission, that the talking points the administration used were dishonest and aimed at securing Obama’s reelection, and a general cover-up of the events that took place.
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, is conducting and ongoing investigation into the talking points and is threatening to subpoena witnesses he says the State Department isn’t making available for testimony.
Carney’s statement also said Obama’s national security team was “taking measures” to prevent attacks related to the anniversary of 9/11.
“The President’s National Security team is taking measures to prevent 9/11 related attacks and to ensure the protection of U.S. persons and facilities abroad,” he said. “The President reiterated that protecting the American people, both at home and abroad, is the Administration’s top national security priority.”
Carney said Obama met with “key national security principals” earlier in the day about the U.S.’s “preparedness and security posture on the eve of the twelfth anniversary of September 11th.”