Poll renews calls for Benghazi probe

Republicans are renewing their calls for an independent probe of last year's terror attack in Benghazi, Libya, after new polling found most people in the United States think the Obama administration covered something up.

ADVERTISEMENT
Almost two in three people — 63 percent — said the administration has been “trying to cover up the facts” about the attack that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans Sept. 11, 2012, according to a poll released Tuesday by the conservative group SecureAmericaNow.Org.

The same proportion — 62 percent — agreed that Congress should create a “special bi-partisan committee with broad powers to get to the truth about the attack in Benghazi.”

Select committee champion Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.) touted the poll's findings in a statement on Wednesday.

The figures, Wolf said, “show that the vast majority of Americans are echoing what the American Legion, the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association, the Special Ops community, the editorial pages of The Wall Street Journal, the family members of the victims and my colleagues in the House have been saying all along: that a Select Committee is the only way to get to the bottom of what happened last year in Benghazi.”

The poll was conducted by Republican John McLaughlin and Democrat Pat Caddell. Both are members of SecureAmericaNow's advisory board and regular contributors to Fox News.

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) opposes the creation of a select committee and has said that the regular panels with jurisdiction are well-equipped to investigate the matter.

Please send tips and comments to Julian Pecquet: jpecquet@thehill.com

Follow us on Twitter: @TheHillGlobal and @JPecquetTheHill