A congressional delegation headed to Haiti on Friday,
a month after a devastating earthquake shook the poor island nation.
group of 12, led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is the first
delegation of lawmakers to travel to the country since the earthquake
It includes 11 Democrats and one Republican, Sen. George
LeMieux (Fla.), whose state includes one of the highest populations of
Haitian immigrants in the U.S.
“I am pleased to be a part of this bipartisan, bicameral delegation to Haiti today," Pelosi said in a release. “In the spirit of President Obama, we go to demonstrate the ongoing American commitment to the Haitian people — that they will not be forsaken or forgotten."
has been marked a day of mourning in Haiti, signifying the 30th day
since the earthquake it.
Hundreds of thousands have been
reported dead and many areas of the capital city, Port-au-Prince, have
The delegation will assess the U.S. government's recovery and relief efforts and survey the damage. Lawmakers will also meet with Haitian President Rene Preval and Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive, as well as other Haitian officials.
Barack Obama last month pledged
$100 million to the Haitian relief efforts. U.S. military and
humanitarian personnel were among the earliest to respond to the
The delegation will also tour food distribution
sites and medical centers and meet with U.S., U.N. and other
international relief workers.
Here is the full list of the
* House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)
* Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), chairman, Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee
* Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.)
* Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.)
* Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.)
* Sen. George LeMieux (R-Fla.)
* Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.), chairman, House Judiciary Committee
* Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), chairman, House Ways and Means Committee
* Rep. Jim Oberstar (D-Minn.), chairman, House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
* Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas)
* Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.)
* Del. Donna Christensen (D-Virgin Islands)