By The Hill Staff - 07/22/10 11:38 PM EDT
• President Obama announced his intent to nominate Kristie Kenney as ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand. Kenney served most recently as U.S. ambassador to the Republic of the Philippines. She also served as ambassador to Ecuador and was earlier on the staff of the National Security Council under President Clinton.
• The president announced his intent to nominate Jo Ellen Powell as ambassador to the Islamic Republic of Mauritania. She most recently served as Consul General in Frankfurt, Germany. She also served overseas in France, Italy, Lebanon and Jordan.
• The president announced his intent to nominate Christopher McMullen as ambassador to the Republic of Angola. McMullen is a career member of the Senior Foreign Service. He currently serves as deputy assistant secretary in the State Department’s Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs.
• The president announced his intent to nominate Joseph Mussomeli as ambassador to the Republic of Slovenia. He was most recently assistant chief of mission in Kabul, Afghanistan.
• The president announced his intent to nominate Wanda Nesbitt as ambassador to the Republic of Namibia. She has served since 2007 as ambassador to Cote d’Ivoire and served previously as ambassador to Madagascar. She has served in Haiti, France and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, among other places.
• The president announced his intent to nominate Karen Brevard Stewart as ambassador to the Lao People’s Democratic Republic. She has served since January as special adviser to the director general of the foreign service. She was principal deputy assistant secretary. She has also served as ambassador to Belarus and has held posts in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Laos.