By The Hill Staff - 07/14/11 11:27 PM EDT
• President Obama has nominated Michael Hammer to be the State Department’s assistant secretary for public affairs. He now works for the State Department as acting assistant secretary and principal deputy assistant secretary for public affairs. He is a career member of the Senior Foreign Service. Previously, Hammer has served as a special assistant to the president, senior director for press and communications and National Security Council spokesman.
• The president has nominated Charles McConnell to be the Energy Department’s assistant secretary for fossil energy. McConnell currently works at the Energy Department’s Office of Fossil Energy as chief operating officer. Before that, he worked for Battelle Energy Technology’s vice president of carbon management and for Praxair Inc. as global vice president, among other positions. McConnell has also served in a variety of advisory positions, including as chairman on the Gasification Technologies Council.
• The president intends to nominate Mary DeRosa to be a United States representative at the 66th session of the United Nations General Assembly. DeRosa most recently acted as deputy counsel to the president and national security legal adviser. Before that, DeRosa served on the Obama-Biden Transition Team, was the Senate Judiciary Committee’s chief counsel for national security and held several positions within the Clinton administration.
• President Obama has announced his intent to nominate Frank Loy to be a United States representative at the 66th session of the United Nations General Assembly. Loy has previous experience serving as the State Department’s under secretary for global affairs from 1998 to 2001, the United States’ German Marshall Fund’s president from 1981 to 1995 and the State Department’s director of the Bureau of Refugee Programs from 1979 to 1981. He also served as deputy assistant secretary for economic affairs from 1965 to 1970.
• The president has announced that he will nominate former Rep. Kendrick Meek (D-Fla.) to be a United States representative at the 66th session of the United Nations General Assembly. Meek currently works for KBM Solutions as president and at Politic365 as the editorial board’s chairman. While in Congress, Meek held seats on the House Armed Services and Ways and Means committees. He also was on the Democratic Steering and Policy Committee.