By The Hill Staff - 12/14/12 12:03 AM EST
• President Obama intends to appoint six individuals to the National Cancer Advisory Board: Drs. David Christiani, Judy E. Garber, Liz Jaffee, Beth Karlan, Mack Roach III and Charles Sawyers.
• Christiani has been the Elkan Blout professor of Environmental Genetics at the Harvard School of Public Health since 2009 and has been a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School since 1996. He also serves as a physician at the Pulmonary and Critical Care Unit of Massachusetts General Hospital.
• Jaffee is co-director of the Gastrointestinal Cancers Program in the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins University and the associate director for Translational Research. She also serves on the National Cancer Institute’s Experimental Therapeutics Program Panel on Investigational Drugs Committee.
• Karlan is the board of governors’ endowed chair in Gynecologic Oncology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and the associate director of Women’s Cancer Programs at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute. She is also a member of the board of directors of the Conquer Cancer Foundation.
• Roach is a professor of radiation oncology and urology at the University of California at San Francisco. He also works as the chairman of the university’s Department of Radiation Oncology.
• Sawyers currently serves as the chairman of the Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, a professor of medicine at Weill-Cornell Medical College and as an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. For a decade, he worked as the associate chief of the Division of Hematology-Oncology at the University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine.