• The General Services Administration is using $1.5 million in stimulus funds to hire outside help to assist federal agencies in following environmental laws and regulations, including the Clean Water Act, Occupational Safety and Health Administration rules and national emission standards. DJ Warren and Associates, the Oregon-based company that received the contract, says it will provide the government with a “faster, more cost efficient means to meet environmental requirements.”
• The Department of Veterans Affairs paid just more than $53,000 for an anti-gravity treadmill and accessories for use in a southern Texas Veterans Affairs hospital.
• The Navy awarded a $500,000 contract to StereoVision Imaging Inc. to continue developing 3D binoculars with facial recognition technology and wireless access to biometric databases. The agreement lasts just more than a year, and federal documents say the company has exclusive intellectual property rights to the biometric binocular product. The agency aims to use them to more easily identify “uncooperative subjects” during a “stand off” from up to 200 meters.
• The Department of Homeland Security awarded General Dynamics Information Technology a contract worth up to about $5.6 million over two and a half years to update and maintain the card reader systems it developed for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The systems, called Card Personalization System Technology Refreshment (CPSTR), must undergo service by the company in order to maintain 100 percent accuracy, government documents say.
• The National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration is paying Norseman Maritime Charters more than $180,000 to use a large boat to survey sea lions in Alaska for an estimated 60 days over a three-year period. In the Gulf of Alaska and Aleutian Islands, the agency is checking up on sea lions and their pups that have been tagged.
Contract information compiled from General Services Administration data and government press releases. Send announcements about government contracts to email@example.com.